This ones going to be good, I can feel it! I say that with every batch, but honestly, that is one of the great things with this "hobby" - each time you have a chance to apply new knowledge or try something different.
This time, for the first time, I was able to actually hit my target temperatures AND my target volume. I took it a little slow, and used some of the info I recently gathered and bingo - a good brew. Now, only time will tell of course - but I am hopeful.
I brewed a Porter, which is a darker stronger and fuller bodied brown ale. I had previously brewed a Porter from an extract kit. For that brew, I had a stroke of creativity, and made it a coffee bourbon Porter, by adding french-pressed, cold brewed coffee, and about a pint of Knob Creek bourbon. It was only my 6th brew ever, and it came out great. For the present Porter, I think I am going to leave it straight up as is. I used some "coffee" grains (not actual coffee grains, but grains that have a coffee smell and color to them), so it should have a hint of coffee to it.
Also, I used an English yeast (S-04) which fits the style, and should work well with my basement temperatures (around 60 degrees). I'll post the recipe when I can. In the meantime, I'm going to check on the bubbling, and hopefully get a nice sniff from the airlock...